St. Margaret’s School is named after Saint Margaret of Scotland, a patron of learning.
Margaret, an English princess, was born about 1045 in Hungary, where her family lived in exile. Margaret’s father was recalled to England in 1057, but died soon after his return. After the invasion of William the Conqueror in 1066, Margaret’s family fled north to Northumbria. According to tradition, they decided to leave Northumbria and return to the continent but a fierce storm drove their ship north to Scotland where they sought the protection of the Scottish king, Malcolm Canmore (Malcolm III of Scotland). In 1070, Margaret married Malcolm and they later had eight children.
As Queen of Scotland, Margaret devoted her life to her religion and helping others. She founded abbeys, worked at reforming the church in Scotland, and used her position to work for justice and to improve conditions for the poor.
Margaret died on November 16, 1093 at Edinburgh Castle, three days after her beloved husband and eldest son were killed at the Battle of Alnwick. She was canonized in 1250 by Pope Innocent IV, not only for her good deeds, but for the spirit of loving service she exhibited in all her endeavours.