Basketball has long been played at St. Margaret’s School. Initially the girls played “Netball”, a game derived from early versions of basketball in England in the 1890s and which would, probably, have been more familiar to their teachers. The Sports page of the March 1911 (Vol. 1, No. 1) issue of the St. Margaret’s School Magazine has a report on “Basket-Ball.” The game may have been recently introduced to the school as the writer noted “some of the players may not know all the rules.”
By 1941-42, there were many opportunities to play basketball. A Strathcona girls basketball team visited for a day. There was a six school girls' basketball league formed that year with Oak Bay, Esquimalt, and Victoria High School, Victoria College, the Normal School, and St. Margaret’s. At the annual SMS Old Girls’ weekend, the SMS student team were beaten by a team of SMS “Old Girls.” St. Margaret’s was one of seven teams participating in the annual Hocking Cup play-off at the Victoria High School gymnasium. There was an annual Staff Basketball match, with the SMS first team beating the teachers.
Above is a photo of the 1941-42 Basketball Team (SMS Accn 2009-010/001) .
Back row (standing), left to right: Rosalind Wilkinson (shot), Catherine Angus (guard), Mary (aka Frances) Piddington (shot), Joan Clark (guard).
Front row (seated): Sheila Francis (guard), Mary Tucker (Captain, guard), Mary Lou Allen (shot).
Absent when picture was taken: Inez Carter Jewell (shot).